Saturday, September 1, 2012

Fortune Teller Lantern




Those were the examples of fortune teller lanterns that I was trying to copy. That's what it should look like... 

Well, close enough. It's just a little smaller. I think the difference is that I didn't use a Chinese lantern for structure. Actually, all you see there (besides the light & cord & stuff) is paper and glue! It was incredibly cheap to make, and if you were ever an elementary school girl, you already know how to make cootie-catchers. If you don't, Wikipedia does: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_fortune_teller 

I realize this isn't exactly a tutorial because I didn't take pictures as I was making it, but I can try to explain what I did. You start with like a billion cootie catchers (not really, but a lot) and fit them inside each other- if you lay 4 down, you can put a 5th in the middle and connect them all together. Glue them in place and let them dry. 

The hardest part for me was trying to fit the lighting fixture inside after I was done making the lantern, so I'd recommend buying a lighting kit for hanging lanterns http://www.homedepot.com/buy/lighting-fans/fluorescent-lighting/westinghouse/6-ft-cord-set-with-snapin-pigtail-with-candelabra-base-socket-and-cord-switch-38404.html#.UELUIEKFn6l and adding it /setting it up before you finish the lantern. Also, you might need a way of holding it up- mine didn't work perfectly. Anyway, once you have a strip of connected fortune tellers, you can wrap that around on itself. If you want, you can add a few at the top and bottom to make it look nicer. 
Then hang it up!!

My take on a chinese origami light:



No comments:

Post a Comment